St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Harlem receives grant for sacred sites
The New York Landmarks Conservancy announced 18 sacred site grants totaling $ 310,500 awarded to historic religious properties across New York State, including $ 25,000 to St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Harlem to help fund the replacement of the roof of the parish hall.
St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, located in the former Holy Trinity Church, was founded in 1928. The church complex, designed by William Potter, dates from 1887-1888 and is one of the finest examples of neo-Romanesque architecture of Manhattan. A center of local civil rights activities in the 1930s, under the leadership of a prominent black rector, the Reverend John H. Johnson, the parish boycotted 125th Street retailers who refused to hire or promote black workers. Johnson also started the nation’s first black-run church-based credit union in 1937. This enabled parishioners to obtain loans and mortgages, start businesses, buy houses, and strengthen their communities. presence in the Harlem community. Among the prominent parishioners was the artist Romare Bearden. The deterioration and active leaks have moved the congregation from the building, pending the completion of the current tower restoration and the planned replacement of the parish hall roof, which this grant will help resolve.
“Our recipients of sacred sites maintain beautiful and important buildings, but also serve beyond their congregations,” said Peg Breen, president of The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Throughout these difficult months, they have continued to provide food, health and recovery programs to their communities. Our grants will help them continue their vital work.
The Sacred Sites program provides congregations with matching grants for the planning and implementation of outdoor restoration projects, as well as technical assistance and workshops. Since 1986, the program has pledged 1,578 grants totaling more than $ 14.9 million to 836 religious institutions statewide.
The conservation of New York’s monuments
The New York Landmarks Conservancy, a private, non-profit organization, has led efforts to preserve and protect New York City’s architectural heritage for nearly 50 years. Since its founding, the Conservancy has loaned and awarded over $ 54 million, leveraging over $ 1 billion in 1,850 restoration projects across New York State, revitalizing communities, stimulating economy and supporting local jobs. The Conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, both nonprofits and individuals. The work of the Conservancy has saved more than a thousand buildings across the city and state, protecting New York’s distinctive architectural heritage for residents and visitors today and for generations to come. For more information, please visit www.nylandmarks.org.